February 15, 2006

Always Do Your Best


Always Do Your Best
Originally uploaded by Poundstone.

Made this for Penelope's "The Best Advice I Ever Got" project. "Always Do Your Best" was really all my parents ever asked of me. I'd come home feeling crappy because I got a low grade on a test or some other performance-related disappointment, and they ask me "Did you do your best?" If the answer was yes, then they'd ask what kind of help I needed to do better next time. If I hadn't done my best, I knew it and would admit it to myself, if not to them. Maybe it's just because I would have pushed myself anyway, neurotic wannabe-overachiever that I am, but this little phrase echoing in my mind always made me push just a little bit harder. And it still does. I think that's a good thing.

No comments: