December 30, 2010

My 2010 In Facebook Statuses (Stati?)

January 1 Top five crazy things Sophie said in '09:

#5: "Hey Mommy, I became not clothed!"

#4: To Henry: "You've got the smile head!"

#3: "Mommy, I get upset about sugar because I want it. And I can't get it."

#2: "Daddy, come look at this freakin' poop!"

#1: During a game of Simon Says: "Simon says stop this freak showing!"

January 2 Happiest, most life-affirming song about the end of the world (sorta) ever. The marching band drum-playing is pretty awesome in this video, but even more awesome live. "I don't let Doomsday bother me - do you let it bother you?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnaPGbZGQEw

January 2 Sophie's bear, wearing his Blazer uniform, of course, made it onto the jumbotron tonight at the game. Our lives are now complete!

January 12 Shopped at Sophie's grocery store tonight. I was charged $60 for three pancakes, and $70 for one potato chip. It was kind of like going to Whole Foods.

January 18

Poundstones may might maybe move to Multnomah Village. Anyone got a problem with that?

January 25 Sorry Multnomah Village, we tried. We're moving to Irvington instead, on Feb 6. Yipes! Sherpas/movers welcome to join. There will be beer. Oh yes, there will be beer.

February 2 If you kid is

going to puke all over himself while sitting in his car seat, it's really, really nice of him to wait until you've pulled up in front of your own house to do so, rather than hurling while traveling on the freeway when you would have been powerless to remove him from said seat. So, I guess, thanks, Henry.

February 3 No

move for Poundstones this Saturday after all: spectacular providential interventions (trying to avoid calling it bad luck and bad timing) mean we're having to look for a different place to land. A better place! Right? Right!

February 15 The Poundstone move is back on. Anyone interested in helping schlep all of our earthly goods from one place to another this Saturday, 2/20, feel free to show up at our current house at around 9am. (And yes, there will still most definitely be beer.)

February 18

Telling myself that I'm not ignoring the kids, I'm letting them build their independent play skills.

February 18 The educational potency of television should never, ever be underestimated.

February 21 Reply to friend: Yeeeeah. That was kind of a nightmare of an evening, and Henry's bloody nose/meltdown was the icing on the crap cake. Let's have a do-over soon.

March 11 Sophie: "Mommy, sometimes I don't understand what you're trying to say. And sometimes you don't understand what I'm trying to say. This is a problem."

March 17 I think I'm going on hour, like, twelve of working today. Could someone please plan me a vacation? I'm too busy to do it myself.

March 24 While Henry was wailing and writhing from a painful gas attack this morning, Sophie was complaining about the noise he was making: "I can't get any peace-ness in here!" Guess we'll be needing to work on those empathy skills...

March 27 The crazy number of scratches on my lenses are creating a "frosted glass" viewing experience that cannot be good.

Can anyone recommend an optometrist?

March 31 Friend's daughter re: Henry: "Mom, did you know that Henry boy is a tricky character? When you look once, he's all sweet and cute and stuff, but the second you turn your back, it's YANK! right on your hair. Watch out for Sophie's little brother - I'm telling you!"

April 6 Photography project in Berlin - very cool: http://bit.ly/bsExDK

April 23 "It may, or may not, help in thinking about your child to know that when a chimpanzee and a child are brought up together in the same household, so far as most abilities are concerned, they turn out to be rather equal until eighteen months of age." [From the book "Your One-Year-Old." And yes, it does help.]

May 24 Sad for kids on playground today: every parent on a cell phone. (Except me of course. But probably only because my battery was nearly dead.)

June 1 I like using the NYT online to look at television listings because they're in the "Arts" section. Makes me feel highbrow even when I'm looking for AFHV. Also, I'm pretty sure no other source would use the phrase "prettily torpid" to describe the movie "Message in a Bottle."

June 10 Am I the only person in PDX who doesn't really care if it's raining?

June 23 I'm in Chicago: Tornado warning, three-hour thunder and lightning show and ankle deep rain puddles, followed by a massive double rainbow, and now a fireworks display. What next???

July 6

Comment on a friend’s post about her two-year-old son “Hal the Destroyer”: Our nickname for Henry is not as charitable. Let's never leave Hal and Henry alone together. They might break the world.

July 9

Build your own Muppet: How awesome is that!? http://www.fao.com/whatnots/

July 13

Comment to a friend about her broody chicken: “Chickens seem kinda emotionally high maintenance.”

July 13 Challenging Yourself vs. Accepting Your Limitations. Heated discussion continues. (In my brain, that is.)

July 16 Just got advice from Sophie: "Mommy, why are you so frustrated? One step at a time. First get me and Henry in the house, then go back down the stairs for the groceries." (Um...)

August 7

Insight flashes for the night: 1) Vacation recuperation: not pretty. 2) Child rearing issues are not problems to be solved, they're problems that evolve. And I'm more of a solver-oriented sort of person. Please make these things be fixed via your comments.

August 9 ‎"I want to forget how convention fits/but can I get out from under it?/Can I cut it out of me?/Ah ho ho ho." [Underdog/Spoon]

August 13 ‎"A film isn't about its subject. It's about how it's about its subject." [Roger Ebert, interview with Martin Scorsese about Raging Bull]

August 13 When you walk into your house and truly aren't sure whether you've been burgled, it's time to put some crap away.

Reply from friend: So funny. When we moved into our home, we accidentally left our van door open all night one night. Our neighbor came over and told us our car was all ransacked and had been broken into. Nope. It hadn't.

August 14 Thought something was weird about the way Henry was walking tonight, then realized it was that he was *walking* rather than running as usual. Disorienting.

August 24 Sophie to Henry: "I'm going to miss you very soon!"

August 27 Sophie: "Oh brother, here we go again. A crying situation."

September 4

Been a while since I had that desperate feeling of not wanting a book to end. This thing was crazy good. [Michael Chabon, Yiddish Policeman’s Union]

September 7 All I could do not to flop down in a puddle and make a rain angel. (Yeah, I'm from here.)

September 10 Wishing everything could be drive-through.

September 10

Trying to do a better job of commenting on the kids' positive behaviors. This morning: Me: "Thanks Sophie for cleaning up the living room without me even asking!" Sophie: "I wasn't cleaning, Mom. I was just shoving things off the rug so I'd have a place to play." Well, hey, I tried.

September 24

Sophie: "Mommy I just can't do anything about the years going by!" (What the what?)

October 6 [The Clean, Someone] This is why I am happy to have Ben as my personal DJ. (Saw these guys play last night, and it was real, real awesome.)

October 29

To celebrate Halloween, I had a beer with my lunch. There was a picture of an owl and a full moon on the bottle. And I think it said something or other about Fall.

November 20 So very good. [David Benioff, City of Thieves]

November 21 S

eriously, why do I keep staying up until 1am? Must stop following fascinating internet bunny trails and go to sleep!

December 20 Sophie whispering in my ear at random intervals all day: "Hark! Hockey Sticks! Harold Angel sings!" (Watched Charlie Brown Christmas for the first time last night. Only Ben had seen it before. I liked it okay. Just didn't know CB was so freaking neurotic. Or his friends so mean.)

December 29 This book [Kenny Shopsin, "Eat Me"] made me try to cook. Which is not something I do. That's a pretty good cook book. And the thing I made didn't suck. Which makes the book something like a miracle machine. Do yourself a favor and read this thing. And/or watch the documentary about Kenny "I Like Killing Flies."

No comments: