November 16, 2011

On My Mind This Week

1) 30 Rock hurts me a little bit. I mean every episode is so deeply hilarious. How could it be so good?
"Werewolf bar mitzva, spooky, scary, boys becoming men, men becoming wolves....."



I mean why is that so funny? And yet. And that's the tip of the freaking iceberg of hilarity. 

2) Revisiting the deeply satisfying, mysterious, charming and whimsical Maira Kalman blog for the NYT, "And the Pursuit of Happiness."

3) How much I have loved going to the restaurant Girl and The Goat in Chicago. Stephanie Izard (that's pronounced "eye-zard," FYI) the chef apparently has a new book out. It's hard for me to convey how much I have loved every single experience I've had at Girl and The Goat. Food that's full of awesome twists and surprises (in a 100% awesome way) the kick-ass servers, the music: the whole package is pretty much seared into my heart/brain.  (And I will say there was a certain shiitake mushroom ice cream with peaches and poundcake that made me tear up a little.)

Here's a glimpse of her awesome.



4) By the way, the book is published by Chronicle Books, makers of all of the books I like. Seriously. One day maybe they'll let me work for them. Maybe I could pay them to let me work for them. One time I did get to visit their HQ during this magical trip. It was, predictably, awesome. 

5) Also, I really like the word awesome, I guess. 

No comments: