March 25, 2005

Fogged View


Fogged View
Originally uploaded by Poundstone.


I’ve recently realized that I habitually visualize doing things before I do them. (Not everything, but certain things, like running errands, starting projects, work-related stuff, etc.) So, for instance, in order to decide whether or not I will go grocery shopping, I try to envision myself making the list, driving to the store, pushing a cart down the aisle, driving home and putting the groceries away. This all happens in a flash, but there are actual images in my mind. If I can imagine myself completing all these steps, then I’ll go. If I can’t, I’ll put it off until I can see myself doing the thing.

Strangely, if the vision is not crystal clear, the trip/project/errand is probably not going to happen. Like the other day, when I was having a hard time imagining myself actually grocery shopping after a long day at work, I came home to find that Ben had already done it.

On the rare occasions when I force myself to do something despite being unable to imagine myself doing it, things don’t turn out well. Little things start going wrong, things take longer than they should, I start getting supercranky, etc.

I don’t know if this visualization thing has something to do with intuition, or what. I can’t even pinpoint when I started doing it. What I do know is that it requires a certain kind of energy. And if I’m exhausted, mentally or physically, I can’t envision myself doing anything. Even things that I really, really should be doing. And that’s where I’ve been for the last few weeks. So instead of continuing to be freaked out by it, I’m realizing I might want to take it as a sign that I should find ways to kick back for a while, and try getting a deeper kind of rest for mind and soul.

* * * * * * * * * *

This realization may have been directly caused by a book I recently skimmed: "Seven Kinds of Smart." Visualizing things is related to being "picture smart." Other kinds of smart included in the book are things like "word smart," "music smart," "logic smart," and "people smart."

I don’t know much about multiple intelligence theories, but this book was fascinating. You suspect that your mind, the little world you build in your head and live in, isn’t exactly like everyone else’s mind, but this book really shines a light on other people’s mind-worlds. For instance, one of the questions for determining whether you are "music smart," is "do you often have a tune in your head?" Well, of course! Doesn’t everyone? No? Really? To determine whether you are "word smart": "do you say words in your head while reading or writing?" Uh, yeah! Not everyone does that? Seriously?

Now, you don’t have only one kind of intelligence. But it becomes pretty clear pretty quick which ones you have. Reading the chapter about "logic smart" was like visiting a foreign land. But one of the best parts of the book is that it doesn’t leave you in despair: it offers ideas and activities to help you develop intelligences you are less gifted with. Though, admittedly, the options for developing logic and number intelligences are not terribly appealing to someone who is mostly good with words. I’m not sure I’m ready to trade in my crosswords for logic puzzles just yet. But at least I know there’s potential for improvement and how I might go about it.

No comments: